The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 29 Sep 2018 16:39

eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Sep 2018 21:49
Two related questions.
1). Is there such a thing as aging-related dyslexia?
Did a quick -n-dirty google a day or two after you posted this. Whereas it seems like one can manifest dyslexia at almost any time of life, I didn't see anything specifically related to it manifesting in aging.
2). Did anyone besides me ever misread it as “Misnomer Murders” instead of “Midsomer Murders”?
Not exactly. Would the victims be offed because they had the wrong name (or wrong kind of name), or because the murderer got the name wrong?
[xP] :wat:

BTW, that's the sort of dyslexis I tend to do. [:$]

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Sep 2018 02:44

Decided to work on a little project this week. Namely, trolling the Ancient Archives for World related materials. Old posts and convos from pubs and taverns long derelict with friends now far distant. (Though one or two happily hang around here! [xD] )

Boy was I surprised to dig up well over a thousand pages of material! [O.O] Much of it I recognised, of course. Some is now hopelessly outdated. But some things came as total bezunderwerkers I had no particular recollection of.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » 01 Oct 2018 03:26

elemtilas wrote:
27 Aug 2018 23:41
Ælfwine wrote:
27 Aug 2018 17:15
Salmoneus wrote:
27 Aug 2018 15:51
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2018 03:57
I've been collaborating with Dewrad, the creator of Dravian: probably the best naturalistic romance language ever made (well, to me at least) and very similar to my own project, which takes place in the same region.

While the last time we chatted he told me he hadn't much time to get back to me due to new government work, he managed to respond to my last email on May 28th. Since then I've tried emailing him 5 or 6 different times, all with no response. This is disappointing as he was the only person I knew who had a fairly good authority on the romance languages of the northwest Balkan region.

I hope nothing bad happened to him...
He's probably just busy. Or bored of the subject. If you want to push your luck, have you tried asking about him on isharia?
...isharia?
Possibly pointing to a ZBB-related chat channel in which Dewrad had some mildly interesting history,

Other iterations of isharia lead to the country of wild geese.
Anyway I'll send another email in a month or so. He said he got an influx of 900+ emails within a short period of time so I reckon it's being buried under them.
Quite possibly!
Interesting. I saw him post on Verduria (ZBB's new site), and there I've contacted him, so I'll see if I get a response.

Speaking of people whom haven't been around for a while, I've not seen much of Ephraim (or any of the old Swedish posters for that matter).
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 01 Oct 2018 04:45

Ælfwine wrote:
01 Oct 2018 03:26
Spoiler:
elemtilas wrote:
27 Aug 2018 23:41
Ælfwine wrote:
27 Aug 2018 17:15
Salmoneus wrote:
27 Aug 2018 15:51
Ælfwine wrote:
26 Aug 2018 03:57
I've been collaborating with Dewrad, the creator of Dravian: probably the best naturalistic romance language ever made (well, to me at least) and very similar to my own project, which takes place in the same region.

While the last time we chatted he told me he hadn't much time to get back to me due to new government work, he managed to respond to my last email on May 28th. Since then I've tried emailing him 5 or 6 different times, all with no response. This is disappointing as he was the only person I knew who had a fairly good authority on the romance languages of the northwest Balkan region.

I hope nothing bad happened to him...
He's probably just busy. Or bored of the subject. If you want to push your luck, have you tried asking about him on isharia?
...isharia?
Possibly pointing to a ZBB-related chat channel in which Dewrad had some mildly interesting history,

Other iterations of isharia lead to the country of wild geese.
Anyway I'll send another email in a month or so. He said he got an influx of 900+ emails within a short period of time so I reckon it's being buried under them.
Quite possibly!
Interesting. I saw him post on Verduria (ZBB's new site), and there I've contacted him, so I'll see if I get a response.
Oh, good! Hopefully he's doing splendidly!
Speaking of people whom haven't been around for a while, I've not seen much of Ephraim (or any of the old Swedish posters for that matter).
Maybe not Lithuanian enough? [o.O]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 01 Oct 2018 15:40

elemtilas wrote:
01 Oct 2018 04:45
Ooh! You've reminded me!!! In a month will be the annual Lithuanian Mugė (Cultural/Christmas Bazaar). They sell balandeliai as big as your foot, and blynai with all the sour cream and applesauce you can handle, and as many chilled frothy Svyturys as you can chug!!! [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]

And the Lithuanian (Jewish) apple-cake, sweet moist aromatic and ambrosial! [:D] [:D] [:D]

And enough amber jewelry to choke an Indominus Rex himself!

Labai gerai!!!!
:lit: :lit: :lit: :lit: :lit: :lit: :lit: :lit: :mrgreen:

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 02 Oct 2018 03:06

Lambuzhao wrote:
01 Oct 2018 15:40
elemtilas wrote:
Ooh! You've reminded me!!! In a month will be the annual Lithuanian Mugė (Cultural/Christmas Bazaar). They sell balandeliai as big as your foot, and blynai with all the sour cream and applesauce you can handle, and as many chilled frothy Svyturys as you can chug!!! [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]

And the Lithuanian (Jewish) apple-cake, sweet moist aromatic and ambrosial! [:D] [:D] [:D]

Labai gerai!!!!
Tis the season for Fall Festivals!

Hereabouts, I think the Greeks have theirs in the Spring, but the Russians & Panslavs and Swedes & Germans & so forth will be decking the halls with music and food and all sorts of goodies!

And of course all the Fall flea markets & book sales. The mind boggles!

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 03 Oct 2018 03:34

I'm pleased by how much of my Introduction to Linguistics course feels like review [:D] I guess I knew more about this subject than I thought. I owe most of that to conlanging, that's for sure :mrgreen:
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 03 Oct 2018 07:35

[+1]
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
03 Oct 2018 03:34
I'm pleased by how much of my Introduction to Linguistics course feels like review [:D] I guess I knew more about this subject than I thought. I owe most of that to conlanging, that's for sure :mrgreen:

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 03 Oct 2018 08:21

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
It is the same for me for my Intro to Bioanthropology and Archaeology course that I'm taking right now.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 03 Oct 2018 12:28

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Yay! I had the same experience. I hope you're enjoying the class!

All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » 04 Oct 2018 06:17

k1234567890y wrote:
03 Aug 2018 14:03
I feel I need to learn thread-making skills like All4Ɇn and Linguifex do
Just saw this but I'm very flattered to say the least [:)]

Edit: also what the heck? I've been a member of this site for 4 years? Man that's such a crazy thought to me!

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Oct 2018 14:46

Same. My serious conlanging began here and probably at the same time I decided to be an anthropologist.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 04 Oct 2018 15:38

Always freaks me out that I've been here for eight years when the board switched over from the Old CBB. I'd finished university, been told my grade, and was waiting to graduate, get married, and move on to become an archaeologist. Now I'm working in a shop, single, and... working in a shopm but at least I still have the CBB [xD]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 04 Oct 2018 16:24

That’s depressing.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 04 Oct 2018 18:01

Ahzoh wrote:
04 Oct 2018 16:24
That’s depressing.
Yes it is! Welcome to my life! HAHAHA! [xP] [xD] [xP]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 04 Oct 2018 18:34

sangi39 wrote:
04 Oct 2018 18:01
Ahzoh wrote:
04 Oct 2018 16:24
That’s depressing.
Yes it is! Welcome to my life! HAHAHA! [xP] [xD] [xP]
It really do be that way sometimes. [>_<]

lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd » 04 Oct 2018 19:56

Ahzoh wrote:
04 Oct 2018 14:46
I decided to be an anthropologist.
sangi39 wrote:
04 Oct 2018 15:38
to become an archaeologist.
Gosh, what 's in the air now, my daughter want to join a Canadian anthropology university or French university of archeology...

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 04 Oct 2018 20:01

shimobaatar wrote:
03 Oct 2018 12:28
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Very much so :) There’s nothing I’d rather be studying.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan

shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » 04 Oct 2018 23:15

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
04 Oct 2018 20:01
shimobaatar wrote:
03 Oct 2018 12:28
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Very much so :) There’s nothing I’d rather be studying.
I'm so glad to hear that! [:D]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » 06 Oct 2018 23:44

elemtilas wrote:
02 Oct 2018 03:06
Lambuzhao wrote:
01 Oct 2018 15:40
elemtilas wrote:

Labai gerai!!!!
Tis the season for Fall Festivals!

Hereabouts, I think the Greeks have theirs in the Spring, but the Russians & Panslavs and Swedes & Germans & so forth will be decking the halls with music and food and all sorts of goodies!

And of course all the Fall flea markets & book sales. The mind boggles!
'Round here, The Greeks here usually have theirs in early August or September; I recall that it's always very hot whenever I attend: Summersende or Indian Summer.

The super early German American Society just had their (pre-)Oktoberfest. Not a big fan of the suds, I prefer to go to the Kristkindlmarkt in sharp, chilly winter.

I just went to the traditional Russian Orthodox festival today. Hard-core noshing and noshing and mounching and mounching. Good thing I avoided Breakfast and lunch today and had a big walk to whet the appetite! Balalaikas strumming (live!) and the church youth doing their czardaszes and troikas and other dances. Boǯe moy - Who stole the kiška?! [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22fZWySJ50