The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 17:44

Ælfwine wrote:
18 Nov 2018 01:03
So

Do you guys believe in ghosts? :?:
Within the past week, I had a dream where a spirit or spirits were visiting upon me while I was in bed.

I tried saying some phrases of exorcism in :lat:, but in the dream my jaws could barely move. Also, I tried raising my hands, but they were heavier than stone to lift (!)

I think it might have been sleep paralysis. [:S]

But, on the other hand, do I believe that perhaps one in a million atoms in my body has a 4th dimensional resonance that, when linked together with the other one in a million atoms in my body of the same ilk, creates some kind lattice of 4-dimensional 'presence' which isn't directly conceivable by modern science and/or maths, and merely touched upon the other way round by various kinds of religiosity… how could anyone not, honestly. :wat:

Now, whether those kinds of arrangements are sentient beings or not, and whether they can in fact shufty onward in the 4D universe after our feeble 3D scaffold shuffles off… … well, that's a Tetronian horse of a different trength entirely. :wat:

I hœp we find out, though. [;)]

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 17:53

Y'know, put another way, stealing from Plato's Allegory of the Cave, our reality could simply be the silhouettes of our true 4D (or 5D) selves projected onto a backdrop of the 3D Universe, which is just the surface, the crust, the filmy bubble enclosing an infinitely deeper 4D,5D or moar-D, Cosmos.

In that conceptualization, a 'ghost' could be a faint pale shadow, a double-silhouette, a supernumerary rainbow, visible between realities.
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 18 Nov 2018 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 18 Nov 2018 17:54

Yeah, sleep paralysis is really weird and I wonder if it may be the explanation behind a lot of supposedly paranormal experiences. Just a few nights ago I had a sleep paralysis experience where I was lying in bed, immobile, and my roommate came over and whispered something unintelligible in my ear. It felt so real--like he was actually there and I think I even tried to say something to him. When I woke up I saw that he was sleeping soundly in his bed and that I had imagined the whole thing. Still very strange [O.O]

I don't have any particular belief in ghosts, but I'm open to changing my mind if I have a paranormal experience.

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 18 Nov 2018 18:25

Crazy is as oneiric does.

Last night I had a really enjoyable dream of a Doctor Who episode whose basic plot was along the lines of Power of Kroll + The Vampires. It was a Two-Who crossover, with David Tennant and Jodie Whittaker joining forces with River Song to help Terran colonists escape the powwa of The Mind of Bolanus, a sinister entity bent on using the Terrans to help release him from his Pulgasari-looking subterranean kaiju-prison, and take over the TARDIS to become ruler of the Universe.

There were classic hallmarks: Welsh quarry scenery, photonegative shock-blasts from cheap knock-off dalek robots and Mentiad-like zombified minions, and a great 3rd Act involving the Doctors et al. tricking Bolanus and his lackies in the depths of the TARDIS interior, with a finale in a ¿new? octagonal green 'domus aurea' like alternate control room.

Oh, and a chubbier Timothy Prall played 'Doc', the Terran medic who is a goodie-turned-baddie.

Wonderful what two really delicious gyros with all the trimmings will do for one's oneiric panopticon!
[:P]

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 19 Nov 2018 06:13

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
18 Nov 2018 17:54
Yeah, sleep paralysis is really weird and I wonder if it may be the explanation behind a lot of supposedly paranormal experiences. Just a few nights ago I had a sleep paralysis experience where I was lying in bed, immobile, and my roommate came over and whispered something unintelligible in my ear. It felt so real--like he was actually there and I think I even tried to say something to him. When I woke up I saw that he was sleeping soundly in his bed and that I had imagined the whole thing. Still very strange [O.O]
I also have had sleep paralysis episodes. I don't get the impression that anyone else is there with me, so it's neat to hear from others who do. Every time, I hallucinate getting up and walking around, only to realize I'm still lying down, immobile. Luckily, I figured out what triggers the paralysis for me and changed my behavior accordingly, so I haven't had any episodes recently.

Xonen

Post by Xonen » 19 Nov 2018 17:35

Lambuzhao wrote:
18 Nov 2018 17:53
Y'know, put another way, stealing from Plato's Allegory of the Cave, our reality could simply be the silhouettes of our true 4D (or 5D) selves projected onto a backdrop of the 3D Universe, which is just the surface, the crust, the filmy bubble enclosing an infinitely deeper 4D,5D or moar-D, Cosmos.

In that conceptualization, a 'ghost' could be a faint pale shadow, a double-silhouette, a supernumerary rainbow, visible between realities.
That's actually a fairly neat idea. Reminds me of an old SMBC strip, which postulates that ours is actually a highly simplified simulation running within a more complex universe - which itself is a simplified simulation running within yet another simplified simulation. So various paranormal phenomena could either be "shadows" cast from these higher-lever realities, or simply glitches in this Matrix, or, you know, the higher-level beings intentionally dicking around with it.

Or it could be just that human brains are hardwired to perceive patterns (and especially ones that resemble human faces) even where they don't actually exist, in combination with stuff like sleep paralysis or other hallucinations. Besides, I think quite a lot of people would actually prefer the idea of being haunted to the much more terrifying possibility that you can't always trust your own brain.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Nov 2018 03:08

If anyone's interested, we're holding another Conlang / Conculture greeting card exchange this year! In years past I know several CBB folks have participated and have sent out some awesome conlinguistical greetings.

If you've participated before or haven't yet and are interested, send me a PM with your name and address and we'll put on the list of participants!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 24 Nov 2018 19:50

Urgh, currently having fun with HMRC (the department of the UK Government in charge of taxes). Apparently I didn't pay enough tax... 6 years ago! And a letter has only just appeared through my door about the matter. Because it was 6 years ago, though, I'm not just being asked to pay the additional tax, but also a penalty of £100 for not paying it, or filling in any tax return forms they "sent me" after registering me for self-assessment (which, again, I didn't know about because I didn't receive a letter about it).

Talking to someone on the phone, they think the previous letters might have been sent to my previous address, likely after I moved out (I wasn't there long), so they've sent me a form to fill in to appeal the fine, which is great, but still annoying as hell.

On top of that, I've been doing some maths, and I can't work out where this "unpaid tax" is coming from. I've not got my P60 from that tax year (either my employer didn't give me one, which isn't unlikely, or I lost it, which considering I have P60s going back the last 7 years except for that one year, I kind of doubt), but I've got the P45s and pay slips I need to cover that entire tax year, and if we've done the maths right, I've paid too much tax (there's a slight chance I shouldn't have paid any tax at all, but one employer did a crap job of filling in my P45). So I'm filling in the tax return they've sent me thinking "why the hell am I even filling this in?" because there's a chance they owe me money.

So unless they have some information about my income that I don't, I'm just going to send these forms off, filled in as best I can, and hope that I don't have to pay them at all.

(I mentioned this to someone at work, and they thought it might be a scam, but it turns out it's genuine. Rather annoyingly they've had friends receive similar letters that are scams. Why can't mine be a scam? [:P] )
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Nov 2018 21:25

sangi39 wrote:
24 Nov 2018 19:50
Urgh, currently having fun with HMRC (the department of the UK Government in charge of taxes). Apparently I didn't pay enough tax... 6 years ago! And a letter has only just appeared through my door about the matter. Because it was 6 years ago, though, I'm not just being asked to pay the additional tax, but also a penalty of £100 for not paying it, or filling in any tax return forms they "sent me" after registering me for self-assessment (which, again, I didn't know about because I didn't receive a letter about it).
Well, naturally. That's the thing about governments: you can never pay them enough taxes! At least they don't appear to be charging you interest on all that money you thieved from HM Treasury!
Talking to someone on the phone, they think the previous letters might have been sent to my previous address, likely after I moved out (I wasn't there long), so they've sent me a form to fill in to appeal the fine, which is great, but still annoying as hell.

On top of that, I've been doing some maths, and I can't work out where this "unpaid tax" is coming from. I've not got my P60 from that tax year (either my employer didn't give me one, which isn't unlikely, or I lost it, which considering I have P60s going back the last 7 years except for that one year, I kind of doubt), but I've got the P45s and pay slips I need to cover that entire tax year, and if we've done the maths right, I've paid too much tax (there's a slight chance I shouldn't have paid any tax at all, but one employer did a crap job of filling in my P45). So I'm filling in the tax return they've sent me thinking "why the hell am I even filling this in?" because there's a chance they owe me money.
Ah, the false hope of having "paid too much" rears its ugly head!
So unless they have some information about my income that I don't, I'm just going to send these forms off, filled in as best I can, and hope that I don't have to pay them at all.

(I mentioned this to someone at work, and they thought it might be a scam, but it turns out it's genuine. Rather annoyingly they've had friends receive similar letters that are scams. Why can't mine be a scam? [:P] )
Sorry! [:'(] I wish it were a scam! We're getting a lot of (very obvious) tax scams over here, too. Mostly by phone, though. Very stupid.

Here's hoping your situation will be happily resolved soon!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Nov 2018 21:26

Lambuzhao wrote:
18 Nov 2018 17:53

[<3] [<3]

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 26 Nov 2018 19:46

sangi39 wrote:

Ugh! I can relate a little. Last year, I filed my state taxes online, only to discover several months later that the payment hadn't actually gone through the website! This is partly on me--I didn't actually verify the money was taken from my bank account--but definitely also on them, because all the information I received from them indicated that everything was fine and the taxes were taken care of. Nevertheless, I ended up getting an overdue tax notice from the state and had to pay an additional late fee (which thankfully was small; I didn't owe much money and it was the first notice).

BUT THEN this year I received ANOTHER letter from the state telling me I still owed them a bit of money!! I have no clue where this one came from, but it was only $11 or so, so I just paid up, but I have to be careful this year and be sure I have everything in order, because I do NOT want to deal with this again.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 26 Nov 2018 20:42

elemtilas wrote:
24 Nov 2018 21:25
sangi39 wrote:
Well, naturally. That's the thing about governments: you can never pay them enough taxes! At least they don't appear to be charging you interest on all that money you thieved from HM Treasury!
Well as far as I can tell, they're assuming they're correct, until proven otherwise, and that means, I think, that I have to pay them the money at the same time as filling in the tax return and the appeal form, and then just wait to see what they say after.

elemtilas wrote:

Ah, the false hope of having "paid too much" rears its ugly head!
It's a tricky one. I have what I think is an accurate representation of my income (thankfully I have pay slips going that far back as well, which also includes how much tax came off them*), so I can look at it and go "this is what I earned", then take off the amount I earned under the tax-free allowance (at the time it was £7470), and then take off the 20% I would have paid on the remaining amount. If I do that, I end up with a figure under the amount I actually did pay in tax for that year.

*Thankfully, here in the UK. most people in employment have their tax and national insurance contributions calculated and deducted before we are handed anything in the way of pay, so if you have underpaid, chances are it's down to a change in pay at some point in the year, or your employer messed up.

elemtilas wrote:

Sorry! [:'(] I wish it were a scam! We're getting a lot of (very obvious) tax scams over here, too. Mostly by phone, though. Very stupid.

Here's hoping your situation will be happily resolved soon!
I think it's a case of "the fear of authority" that keeps these sorts of scams going. Don't pay and take the risk that it's fake, or end up getting fined for not believing them. We get these sorts of scams a lot, people claiming to be HMRC, various banks, or even the police. The police and the HMRC are pretty good about telling people to keep an eye out for these sorts of things (especially the police), and luckily the HMRC is pretty centralised. They have one address that's definitely theirs, one phone number that's definitely theirs, and one website that's definitely theirs, so if you're asked to contact them in any way you can check to see if it really is them relatively easily.

alynnidalar wrote:
26 Nov 2018 19:46
sangi39 wrote:

Ugh! I can relate a little. Last year, I filed my state taxes online, only to discover several months later that the payment hadn't actually gone through the website! This is partly on me--I didn't actually verify the money was taken from my bank account--but definitely also on them, because all the information I received from them indicated that everything was fine and the taxes were taken care of. Nevertheless, I ended up getting an overdue tax notice from the state and had to pay an additional late fee (which thankfully was small; I didn't owe much money and it was the first notice).

BUT THEN this year I received ANOTHER letter from the state telling me I still owed them a bit of money!! I have no clue where this one came from, but it was only $11 or so, so I just paid up, but I have to be careful this year and be sure I have everything in order, because I do NOT want to deal with this again.
Sorry to hear it's happened to you more than once. Hopefully next time round, things go a bit better [:)]

Do state and federal taxes need to be filed separately in the US?
Just one time.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 29 Nov 2018 19:27

sangi39 wrote:
26 Nov 2018 20:42
Do state and federal taxes need to be filed separately in the US?
Yep, and the guidelines for how to submit are different between the federal government and each state government, naturally. :roll:

The deadline is the same, though--April 15.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 30 Nov 2018 02:05

Anyone onboard live in a city with a city income tax?

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 06 Dec 2018 09:23

Safe journey home, and thank you for your service, President Bush 41.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 06 Dec 2018 16:32

Lao Kou wrote:
06 Dec 2018 09:23
Today is St. Nicholas’s Day in Western churches.
Tomorrow is Pearl Harbor Day in the U.S.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 07 Dec 2018 03:55

Lao Kou wrote:
06 Dec 2018 09:23
[+1]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 11 Dec 2018 16:52

Oh, are all the threads not blocked anymore?

What's been going on lately? Should we expect the board to be down again soon?

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 13 Dec 2018 20:30

Yeah, this is getting nuts :(

I guess they had some trouble switching to the new forum. Looks like it's working now.

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » 13 Dec 2018 23:22

I got in touch with Ossicone when the board was up for me, but the threads still blocked, and they said this:
The hosting changed the php version which was not compatible with the version of phpbb being used.
I'd assume that since this particular issue seems to be sorted now, I wouldn't expect any down time from the board any time soon, but I'm not one who deals with that side of things, so that would just be my guess.
Just one time.