Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by gestaltist » 14 Feb 2019 09:09

Yeah, sounds realistic enough. Why send mothers to be nuns though? Wouldn't they be more useful as grandmothers? There's a reason why in most cultures, monasticism is linked to celibacy, not parenthood.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 14 Feb 2019 17:19

gestaltist wrote:
14 Feb 2019 09:09
Yeah, sounds realistic enough. Why send mothers to be nuns though? Wouldn't they be more useful as grandmothers? There's a reason why in most cultures, monasticism is linked to celibacy, not parenthood.
Perhaps monasticism isn't linked to celibacy in that culture or religion? Perhaps it is more a lay vocation, something you are in addition to being mother or grandmother, than a full on priestly vocation.

Among the Daine, monasticism is not linked to celibacy per se. But on the other wing, the population that find their way to this calling have, generally speaking, moved beyond all that in a manner of speaking. They are mostly elders and super-elders. The been there, done that, gotten the commemorative racca folks. And very often the done all that several times over folks. The world weary, yet inwardly powerful: those who have found for themselves the new way. There is a bit of wisdom literature on becoming a monk.
The young man sees the venerable monk walking in the woods.
He asks her: “How might I become a monk?”
Then she says: “Who are thou?”
Then he: “Yapping Dog.”
Then she, smiling: “Thou are not yet ready, child!”
She asks: “Have thou a mate?”
-- “Nay.”
“Has thou a lover, then?”
-- “Nay.”
“Are thy parents living?”
-- “Yea.”
“Has thou wandered long in the wide world?”
-- “Nay.”
“Are thou a master of ten crafts?”
-- “Nay, of one only.”

Then she, smiling inwardly: “Thou are not yet ready, child! When thou has loved, and lost thy lover;
when thou has raised thy children and thy grand children;
when thou has watched some of them die in thy arms;
when thou knows the grief of losing thy parents or thy brother or thy sister;
when thou has travelled long in this world and at last weary of it;
when thou tire of all things and at the very last seek from within
and bring to the outside what is inside thee:
then thou might become a monk.”

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 14 Feb 2019 19:57

Salmoneus wrote:
02 Feb 2019 14:14
You've never heard of Ravenloft!?

Ugh, kids these days! Next you'll be saying you don't know about Dark Sun, or Spelljammer, or Planescape...

Ravenloft is/was the D&D setting for horror stories. Different 'Domains' have different horror flavours, reflecting their different 'Darklords'. A Darklord is someone who is considered morally beyond redemption; the Powers 'reward' the evil with Domains, in which the Darklord has great powers, but ultimately the Domain is designed as a sadistic prison for the Darklord, intended to torture them eternally. Domains can be destroyed if their Darklord is killed, or may split in two, or merge. In a period known as the Grand Conjunction, lots of Domains were moved to new locations.

Externally, of course, these changes are driven by marketing concerns. Within Ravenloft, however, they appear to be largely arbitrary.
I know of Ravenloft from novels my dad had involving the setting. My favorite is the Vampire of the Mists.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 15 Feb 2019 00:52

Ahzoh wrote:
14 Feb 2019 19:57
Salmoneus wrote:
02 Feb 2019 14:14
You've never heard of Ravenloft!?

Ugh, kids these days! Next you'll be saying you don't know about Dark Sun, or Spelljammer, or Planescape...

Ravenloft is/was the D&D setting for horror stories. Different 'Domains' have different horror flavours, reflecting their different 'Darklords'. A Darklord is someone who is considered morally beyond redemption; the Powers 'reward' the evil with Domains, in which the Darklord has great powers, but ultimately the Domain is designed as a sadistic prison for the Darklord, intended to torture them eternally. Domains can be destroyed if their Darklord is killed, or may split in two, or merge. In a period known as the Grand Conjunction, lots of Domains were moved to new locations.

Externally, of course, these changes are driven by marketing concerns. Within Ravenloft, however, they appear to be largely arbitrary.
I know of Ravenloft from novels my dad had involving the setting. My favorite is the Vampire of the Mists.
...sometimes I forget how young some people are.

Yes, I remember sort of liking VotM when I read it, a long while ago, although it was very conventional. It was the introduction to the setting in novels, and it had one of the better-known authors (Christie Golden, who more recently was chosen to write one of the first tranche of the new star wars canon novels; she's not well known for her own work, if there is any, but she's written star trek, star wars, world of warcraft (including the film novelisation), starcraft, assassin's creed, etc).

If you liked that, you might like Dance of the Dead, also by Golden, which I happened to re-read a couple of years ago and review over on my blog. (review/stream-of-consciousness rambling...). It's bonkers and has an insanely high deathcount, but it's fun, and weird, and has cool moments. It's set in Souragne, which is basically Louisiana or Florida and ruled over by a zombie lord. Overall, it's not bad.

Alteratively, if you liked Barovia and its ruler, Strahd, there's a pair of books from Strahd's perspective (including, iirc, a brief bit that shows the events of Vampire of the Mists from Strahd's side): I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire and I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin. They're by P.N. Elrod, who's written and edited a lot of vampire fiction (mostly urban fantasy I think?), and although I've not reread them in a long time, I remember them being pretty good, if a bit less horror-y than most Ravenloft.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 15 Feb 2019 02:31

Salmoneus wrote:
15 Feb 2019 00:52

Yes, I remember sort of liking VotM when I read it, a long while ago, although it was very conventional. It was the introduction to the setting in novels, and it had one of the better-known authors (Christie Golden, who more recently was chosen to write one of the first tranche of the new star wars canon novels; she's not well known for her own work, if there is any, but she's written star trek, star wars, world of warcraft (including the film novelisation), starcraft, assassin's creed, etc).

If you liked that, you might like Dance of the Dead, also by Golden, which I happened to re-read a couple of years ago and review over on my blog. (review/stream-of-consciousness rambling...). It's bonkers and has an insanely high deathcount, but it's fun, and weird, and has cool moments. It's set in Souragne, which is basically Louisiana or Florida and ruled over by a zombie lord. Overall, it's not bad.

Alteratively, if you liked Barovia and its ruler, Strahd, there's a pair of books from Strahd's perspective (including, iirc, a brief bit that shows the events of Vampire of the Mists from Strahd's side): I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire and I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin. They're by P.N. Elrod, who's written and edited a lot of vampire fiction (mostly urban fantasy I think?), and although I've not reread them in a long time, I remember them being pretty good, if a bit less horror-y than most Ravenloft.
I've read Vampire of the Mists, The Tapestry of Dark Souls, The Knight of the Black Rose, The Carnival of Fear, and of course, I, Strahd.

VoTM and The Tapestry of Dark Souls were especially saddening to me, I remember crying when I read the end of them. The Carnival of Fear was pretty saddening too.

k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » 15 Feb 2019 03:42

gestaltist wrote:
14 Feb 2019 09:09
they can be a grandmother and a nun at the same time I guess.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » 15 Feb 2019 22:25

Ahzoh wrote:
15 Feb 2019 02:31
Salmoneus wrote:
15 Feb 2019 00:52

I've read Vampire of the Mists, The Tapestry of Dark Souls, The Knight of the Black Rose, The Carnival of Fear, and of course, I, Strahd.

VoTM and The Tapestry of Dark Souls were especially saddening to me, I remember crying when I read the end of them. The Carnival of Fear was pretty saddening too.
Of those, I've read VotM, KotBR and both I Strahds - not Carnival of Fear or The Tapestry of Dark Souls. I remember thinking VotM was OK, I Strahd (I&II) were good, and I didn't like KotBR.

And yes, now you mention it, that might be part of what's distinctive about Ravenloft: it's usually sad. Not just gory or shocking like some horror, but almost always tragic.

The other one I remember sticking with me as a child as probably the saddest of them was Heart of Midnight, the werewolf novel. Though I never read most of them.

The short story collection is fun.

Oh, and the sequel to Knight of the Black Rose, Spectre of the Black Rose, was much better, I thought - much weirder and sadder and more thematically coherent.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 16 Feb 2019 12:31

Salmoneus wrote:
15 Feb 2019 22:25
Of those, I've read VotM, KotBR and both I Strahds - not Carnival of Fear or The Tapestry of Dark Souls. I remember thinking VotM was OK, I Strahd (I&II) were good, and I didn't like KotBR.
Yea, VotM was definitely ok plotwise, I just always hope that Jander didn't burn to a crisp when he played that flute in the dawn sun. You might like the tapestry of dark souls and the carnival of fear.

Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav » 07 Jun 2019 20:55

Make an alternate Earth based on the medieval T and O map.

Step 1: Exchange longitude and latitude around a point centered on Jerusalem.

Step 2: Reclimatize.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who would like to make a conlang, but can't decide what to call what.

- Tewanian languages
- Guide to Slavic accentuation

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 09 Jun 2019 20:32

Zekoslav wrote:
07 Jun 2019 20:55
Make an alternate Earth based on the medieval T and O map.

Step 1: Exchange longitude and latitude around a point centered on Jerusalem.

Step 2: Reclimatize.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!
Step 3a: Exchange longitude and latitude for cultural and linguistic parameters
Spoiler:
[:D] [xP] [xD]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]

LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco » 24 Jun 2019 03:24

I've been thinking up names for an interstellar current than just generic credits. I'm leaning towards the "uno." I got the name from the idea of the euro, used by many European countries, and the "uno" is supposed to be a universal currency, hence the name. Also, "uno" is the Spanish word for one, which the currency has a base value of 1, so I think it's clever.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 24 Jun 2019 03:49

LinguoFranco wrote:
24 Jun 2019 03:24
I've been thinking up names for an interstellar current than just generic credits. I'm leaning towards the "uno." I got the name from the idea of the euro, used by many European countries, and the "uno" is supposed to be a universal currency, hence the name. Also, "uno" is the Spanish word for one, which the currency has a base value of 1, so I think it's clever.
Also calls to mind the UN and ideals like unity and union. (Also calls to mind a silly card game and a pizzeria, if those images help any!) Strength of purpose and interplanetary unity are all good for a star-spanning currency.

Hopefully, any physical representations of the Uno will not be quite so horrifically dreadful as the Euro's designs!

Do you have any visuals in mind thus far?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera

abi
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by abi » 27 Jun 2019 08:50

LinguoFranco wrote:
24 Jun 2019 03:24
If your conworld is in English you could always take a word for currency and give it a few sound changes + historical reanalysis for some humor. Dollars > Dorrors > Doors: Those weird ancient earth people used to carry around entire doors just to buy food!

Porphyrogenitos
sinic
sinic

Post by Porphyrogenitos » 09 Jul 2019 04:34

A thing I thought of today:

A society that believes in “lineal reincarnation”; the notion that after you die you are reincarnated as the next one of your descendants to be born. Or in particular the idea that (if you are a man) you are reborn as the next one of your male-line descendants to be born; for women, the belief might be that you are reborn as the next of your own female-line descendants to be born, or perhaps the belief is that you are reborn as the next female to be born to your husband’s male line.

Obviously this generates enormous anxiety and pressure to have children; someone without descendants is denied any future rebirths, or even eternal life or spiritual perfection, if there is some kind of end goal to the cycle of rebirth. As long as the belief in female lineal reincarnation remains in place, this doesn’t necessarily encourage female infanticide, but it could incentivize all kinds of perverse behavior, such as wealthy men taking huge amounts of wives in order to ensure they have ample male descendants - since, of course, just one son will not do; since your reincarnation is naturally not born until after you are already dead, you cannot be even remotely sure of your rebirth until you have three or four male grandchildren ready to provide you with a rebirth after you die.

If this culture believes that the fetus is not ensouled until a certain point in the pregnancy, this could even encourage some people to take their own lives upon finding out that one of their descendants is pregnant, so they can be assured of at least one more reincarnation for the time being.

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil » 09 Jul 2019 04:41

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
09 Jul 2019 04:34

A society that believes in “lineal reincarnation”; the notion that after you die you are reincarnated as the next one of your descendants to be born. Or in particular the idea that (if you are a man) you are reborn as the next one of your male-line descendants to be born; for women, the belief might be that you are reborn as the next of your own female-line descendants to be born, or perhaps the belief is that you are reborn as the next female to be born to your husband’s male line.

Obviously this generates enormous anxiety and pressure to have children; someone without descendants is denied any future rebirths, or even eternal life or spiritual perfection, if there is some kind of end goal to the cycle of rebirth. As long as the belief in female lineal reincarnation remains in place, this doesn’t necessarily encourage female infanticide, but it could incentivize all kinds of perverse behavior, such as wealthy men taking huge amounts of wives in order to ensure they have ample male descendants - since, of course, just one son will not do; since your reincarnation is naturally not born until after you are already dead, you cannot be even remotely sure of your rebirth until you have three or four male grandchildren ready to provide you with a rebirth after you die.

If this culture believes that the fetus is not ensouled until a certain point in the pregnancy, this could even encourage some people to take their own lives upon finding out that one of their descendants is pregnant, so they can be assured of at least one more reincarnation for the time being.
I think that's brilliant. I could imagine a variation where all ones ancestors join a cue to get into the the offspring of their descendants. It prompts images of grandmothers and grandfathers discussing which of their deceased relatives' souls is present in a new born. That idea will stick with me and if i ever use it I'll try to remember to give credit :)

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 09 Jul 2019 11:22

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
09 Jul 2019 04:34
A society that believes in “lineal reincarnation”; the notion that after you die you are reincarnated as the next one of your descendants to be born.
oooh, I like this idea. kudos to you and your brain.
If a child is adopted, are they stuck with their original ancestors being reborn from them, or can they give a rebirth to the ancestors of their adopted parents?

...Which brings up a scary thought: what if some of those wealthy men you mentioned, what if they adopted/baptized/whatevered the kids who work for them - whether the parents okay it or not? (that'd be a motivation in a murder mystery, i wager) :)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799