A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by elemtilas » 30 Jun 2019 19:19

eldin raigmore wrote:
30 Jun 2019 16:39
My conlang Arpien now has the beginnings of a lexicon/vocabulary!
One entire word!
It’s
ataivsh which means world
Now, that ìs an accomplishment indeed! After all this time, I still don't have a word for The World in any of its languages. [:|]

Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono » 30 Jun 2019 20:58

DesEsseintes wrote:
30 Jun 2019 09:09
Had new ideas for Ch’eweyõw̌e. Coming soon!
Yay!

I didn't create something new but I updated the Źilaa Ruńu thread. This took way longer than I thought it would! My notes are a mess but explaining things here helps me clarify them.

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 30 Jun 2019 21:02

I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I'm not sure if I want to continue with Lihmelinyan for now or branch out into a new (but closely related) conlang for the first time in my life. I've written down a lot of ideas for the new conlang, but I'm not sure if once I really get started on it, that I'll just miss the old one. [:S]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 01 Jul 2019 01:59

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
30 Jun 2019 21:02
I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I'm not sure if I want to continue with Lihmelinyan for now or branch out into a new (but closely related) conlang for the first time in my life. I've written down a lot of ideas for the new conlang, but I'm not sure if once I really get started on it, that I'll just miss the old one. [:S]
If you start to miss your first language, it will still be there for you to go back to if you'd like. I'd personally encourage you to give "branching out" a try, but of course the decision is 100% yours in the end.

Also, has your avatar/profile picture changed?

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » 01 Jul 2019 04:01

shimobaatar wrote:
01 Jul 2019 01:59
If you start to miss your first language, it will still be there for you to go back to if you'd like. I'd personally encourage you to give "branching out" a try, but of course the decision is 100% yours in the end.

Also, has your avatar/profile picture changed?
Thanks--I think I'm with you. "Braching out" would be fun because it will give me a chance to explore features that Lihmelinyan doesn't have (while still remaining in the sphere of IE-based conlanging. I doubt I'll ever move too far out of that sphere since IE is my primary linguistic interest, but I can't say for sure what the future will hold).

Yep. Got a new one. It's the same character, just older. [:)]

spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick » 10 Jul 2019 01:10

Started work on a proto-language today and already have over a hundred words. Breaking out of my comfort zone in a couple ways with this.

First, I almost never explicitly do proto-languages. I tried one but I didn’t work very well. I normally just put together a final language from scratch and call it good.

Second, I decided to use a word generator to compile a list of possible proto-words. I have never done this before but I’m finding it helps not just with speed but also with creative block.

The plan is to add as little morphology as possible and evolve the grammatical morphology.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq » 11 Jul 2019 04:07

I've been rather busy as of late, so conlanging was put on hold for a little bit. Now that I have a little more time, I've been contemplating a vowel diacritic system for my abjad, and I am still working on an acceptable form. Here is a snapshot of what I have thus far. Dhakhsh is written in vertical columns from top to bottom and right to left. The final sentence on the left is written "bare bones" and would be written by an educated scribe.

https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 11 Jul 2019 06:23

bbbourq wrote:
11 Jul 2019 04:07
I've been rather busy as of late, so conlanging was put on hold for a little bit. Now that I have a little more time, I've been contemplating a vowel diacritic system for my abjad, and I am still working on an acceptable form. Here is a snapshot of what I have thus far. Dhakhsh is written in vertical columns from top to bottom and right to left. The final sentence on the left is written "bare bones" and would be written by an educated scribe.
What does the last symbol in lines 1, 3, & 4 mean --- the crying eye? And why is it absent from line 2?

If you're after opinions, I like the aesthetic of line 2 best; and the crying eye of line 1 better than that of 3 & 4. That said, I can see, perhaps, in the others some kind of local or scribal-traditional variant forms going on...

And, as always: stunningly beautiful calligraphic work!

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq » 12 Jul 2019 00:59

elemtilas wrote:
11 Jul 2019 06:23

What does the last symbol in lines 1, 3, & 4 mean --- the crying eye? And why is it absent from line 2?

If you're after opinions, I like the aesthetic of line 2 best; and the crying eye of line 1 better than that of 3 & 4. That said, I can see, perhaps, in the others some kind of local or scribal-traditional variant forms going on...

And, as always: stunningly beautiful calligraphic work!
The Crying Eye, as you call it, is the punctuation which denotes the end of text. I took the inspiration from Tibetan which uses a similar symbol () to denote the beginning of text. I didn't include it on the second sentence simply because I forgot to do so.

I appreciate that you took the time to comment on them. The punctuation used on Line 1 was actually my first time using it—I have been using the other version since day 1 of the script's inception. I agree with your assessment about Line 2. I will continue to refine this version and hopefully come up with a system that satisfies my taste. Thank you!
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous » 12 Jul 2019 18:45

cognates

miʔ - miʔ
ɒʔ - eʔ
pʰɯm - pkæ̤m
tʰɯj - dak
ɯj - ak
ɓɯj - pik
tʰwil - duːl
sɒʔ - ɲsaʔ
ʄim - kĩːm
jɤh - ɲãn
ɓɒ - peː
ɗɯɲ - tiŋ
ɗɤp - tba
lɯm - tma̤
lɯh - ta̤

tʰɒ - nẽː
tʰæn - nŋ̊æ̤n
tʰæ - nẽw
tʰok - tɓa̤w
ɠɤɬ - pɲiː
ɠwi - muwa̤
mɒl - mɨ̃n̥
ʄwɤ - mˀŋna̤
ɬæh - ɲkiː
jɯ - akæw
ɠɒŋ - ʔŋˀæ
ɓjɤ - lmˀɔ̃
ŋɒh - lkaj
ɬɯhæh - ɲkki
jwɤj - maɲa
hɯlæl - ɲklkɗaw
ⁿdol - hn̥n̥a̤

yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 » 13 Jul 2019 13:05

Over the past few days. I've figured out Sjiangfa's pluralization and terminology for names. I prefer [ᵚ] to differentiate velarization from pharyngealization [ˁ], uvularization [q], and voiced velar fricative release [ˠ].

Pluralization (using "phoenix")
fax /m̪̊ɒ̥ɴ/ [m̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊] (sg.) → afax /ɒ̥ˈm̪̊ɒ̥ɴ/ [ɒ̥ˈm̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊] (dual; duplicate of first vowel-sg.) → afaxsai /ɒ̥.m̪̊ɒ̥ɴˈsɒ̥.ɨ̥/ [ɒ̥.m̪̊ɒ̥ŋ̊ˈsɒ̥.ɨ̥] (pl.; dual-sai)

Name-related
faqi [ˈm̪̊ɒ̥.q͡ʡɨ̥]: Emperor's "regnal name"
kpaxqa [ˈʘɒ̥ç̃.q͡ʡʲɒ̥]: A snake biting its own tail with the character for spider above it (added 14/07/19)
saixki [sɒ̥ˈɨ̥m̪̊.kᶹɨ̥]: The Emperor’s “spider name” (added 14/07/19)
tpaxsi [t͡pɒ̥ˈʘ̃ᵊ.sʷɨ̥]: Ribbon enclosing the Emperor’s “public name” (added 14/07/19)
fatja [ˈm̪̊ɒ̥.ʨɒ̥]: Emperor's "throne name", original "regnal name", and first part of their "spider name"
mkéísji [ʘ̃ə̥ːˈɨ̥ː.ʃ͡xɨ̥]: Emperor's "divine connection" and second part of "spider name"
hex iqixsai [p͡ʔə̥m̪̊ ɨ̥.q͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊ˈsᵚɒ̥.ɨ̥] : A person's name
mkíqix [ʘ̃ɨ̥ːˈq͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊]: Roman praenomen-equivalent
éx [ə̥ːn̥͡m]: Matrilineal Roman gens-equivalent and third in Emperor's "spider name" but after ordinal
axqix [ɒ̥n̥͡mˈq͡ʡɨ̥ŋ̊]: Roman cognomen-equivalent; appears in Emperor's tpaxsi
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 30 Jul 2019 21:58

I realized my case assignments for Silvish were almost entirely backwards, given they descend from Latin. [>_<] So that's fun.

Does anyone else have this kind of "kill your darlings" moment with a conlang, where you suddenly understand you've been laboring under an incorrect assumption and have to re-evaluate/throw out big chunks of the language?

Anyway, on the bright side, the chaos of cases that realization unleashed in my head has helped me figure out my relative pronouns.

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 31 Jul 2019 01:18

Dormouse559 wrote:
30 Jul 2019 21:58
I realized my case assignments for Silvish were almost entirely backwards, given they descend from Latin. [>_<] So that's fun.
maybe just reverse their order, and it'll work?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Pabappa
sinic
sinic

Post by Pabappa » 31 Jul 2019 01:29

Dormouse559 wrote:
Does anyone else have this kind of "kill your darlings" moment with a conlang, where you suddenly understand you've been laboring under an incorrect assumption
yes and that phrase looks familiar. But instead of throwing out the language, I start another and put them both in the same place in the conworld. Thus there's Pēles I, Pēles II, and Pēles III. There's several "Ogili" languages too. Only one can be kept , I know, but I like to keep the scrapped ideas around in case I find a way to reuse them.
Sorry guys, this one has the worst sting.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 31 Jul 2019 01:46

If it sparks joy, keep it!

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 31 Jul 2019 01:55

Dormouse559 wrote:
Does anyone else have this kind of "kill your darlings" moment with a conlang, where you suddenly understand you've been laboring under an incorrect assumption and have to re-evaluate/throw out big chunks of the language?
Multiple times!
In fact, I think conlanging is like wargaming or computer-simulating, in that if you wonder why something has never happened in nature or history, you can try it out; and if you can’t make it work, you can get great insight into why it never happens in real life.

My most egregious example is my attempt to make a 3Cons language in which both the Points-of-Articulation and the Manners-of-Articulation could be independently permuted and arrive at different inflected/derived wordforms of the same semantic root.
No, it can’t be done. I invite everyone else to try it, though!

Earlier, but perhaps not as embarrassing, I learned-from-experiment why making a series of bases for a numeral system by successive cubing, wouldn’t work, but making one by successive squaring would.

Right at this moment I’m trying to find out if a certain system of case-endings and postpositions and prepositions is logically or mathematically possible. Want me to let you know how it turns out?

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 31 Jul 2019 06:58

Vrkhahian and Onschen now have a cursive script, known as Oñako or the Sealbone Script.

Right to left: Ka Ga Xa Gha Nga | Pa Ba Ma | Ta Da Sa Za Na | Ca Ja Sha Zha | Lha La 'A
I'm too lazy to IPA right now.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 31 Jul 2019 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 31 Jul 2019 07:02

Keenir wrote:
31 Jul 2019 01:18
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ed/ed4af2b ... a04592.jpg

That's always possible, but the thing is, it also reopens the question of when certain prepositions are used (and how that will differ from Latin, the surrounding Romance languages, and probably Romanian for good measure).

Pabappa wrote:
31 Jul 2019 01:29
Dormouse559 wrote:
Does anyone else have this kind of "kill your darlings" moment with a conlang, where you suddenly understand you've been laboring under an incorrect assumption
yes and that phrase looks familiar.
Mmm, it's often used as advice for writers not to be too precious with the things they write.

But instead of throwing out the language, I start another and put them both in the same place in the conworld. Thus there's Pēles I, Pēles II, and Pēles III. There's several "Ogili" languages too. Only one can be kept , I know, but I like to keep the scrapped ideas around in case I find a way to reuse them.
Well, I never said throw out the language, just chunks. [;)] Silvish is pretty unique for me in that I've been working on it for seven years, uninterrupted. Despite looking completely different from when it began, it's still Silvish. Meanwhile, what you describe is a lot like what I've done with my a priori conlangs, which have a much higher turnover. I haven't worked on one recently, but there's a bunch of concepts from the previous ones just waiting for when the time is right.

eldin raigmore wrote:
31 Jul 2019 01:46
If it sparks joy, keep it!
Marie Kondo, help me clean up my language!

eldin raigmore wrote:
31 Jul 2019 01:55
Right at this moment I’m trying to find out if a certain system of case-endings and postpositions and prepositions is logically or mathematically possible. Want me to let you know how it turns out?
Sure! it sounds quite intriguing [:)]

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 31 Jul 2019 08:37

Dormouse559 wrote:
31 Jul 2019 07:02
Keenir wrote:
31 Jul 2019 01:18
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ed/ed4af2b ... a04592.jpg

That's always possible, but the thing is, it also reopens the question of when certain prepositions are used (and how that will differ from Latin, the surrounding Romance languages, and probably Romanian for good measure).
I just recalled something from - I think - the LCK..."Make multiple solutions, and assign one of them to the far provinces, one to the capitol {etc}"

would that work, saying they got X,Y, or Z of the solutions you already have, from the provinces

hmm...had an idea: maybe the main body of Silvish went the way you initially had...while the Romanian-ajacent region started out the reversed way you recently realized it should have gone...over time, the ajacent's method becomes more popular in the capitol, while the Romanian-ajacent region is using the capitol's method so as to distinguish themselves more from their neighbor; so by the halfway point, the capitol is finishing the reversed sequence, while the ajacent region is using the original method?

just two cents.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

leanancailin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by leanancailin » 31 Jul 2019 11:20

In a mass of vocabulary building for time words and celestial bodies, I've ended up creating my longest lexical term yet.

ra'nii neliyeliye - planet < moving star