Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1087
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 28 Aug 2019 01:00

Are the morphemes divided глас-мат-с?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 28 Aug 2019 05:11

spanick wrote:
28 Aug 2019 01:00
Are the morphemes divided глас-мат-с?
Yep
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1087
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick » 28 Aug 2019 13:57

Are the second and third morphemes “food” and “nominative singular” respectively?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 29 Aug 2019 06:49

spanick wrote:
28 Aug 2019 13:57
Are the second and third morphemes “food” and “nominative singular”respectively?
Food [cross]

Nominative Singular [tick]
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 29 Aug 2019 20:42

Is -матс related to Biblical Gothic 𐌼𐌰𐌷𐍄𐍃?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 30 Aug 2019 19:53

shimobaatar wrote:
29 Aug 2019 20:42
Is -матс related to Biblical Gothic 𐌼𐌰𐌷𐍄𐍃?
Correct.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 01 Sep 2019 04:50

Is глас- related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic beginning with a consonant cluster, if it's related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic at all?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Sep 2019 03:21

shimobaatar wrote:
01 Sep 2019 04:50
Is глас- related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic beginning with a consonant cluster, if it's related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic at all?
It's not attested in Biblical Gothic, no.

Edit: it seems that I might have made a mistake. I expect this word to be глисматс /ˈɣliːsˌmats/. Hopefully this helps narrow it down.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 02 Sep 2019 05:46

Ælfwine wrote:
02 Sep 2019 03:21
shimobaatar wrote:
01 Sep 2019 04:50
Is глас- related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic beginning with a consonant cluster, if it's related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic at all?
It's not attested in Biblical Gothic, no.

Edit: it seems that I might have made a mistake. I expect this word to be глисматс /ˈɣliːsˌmats/. Hopefully this helps narrow it down.
Is глис- at all related to "glass" in English (from either this word or one of the related terms)?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Sep 2019 19:31

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Sep 2019 05:46
Ælfwine wrote:
02 Sep 2019 03:21
shimobaatar wrote:
01 Sep 2019 04:50
Is глас- related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic beginning with a consonant cluster, if it's related to a word attested in Biblical Gothic at all?
It's not attested in Biblical Gothic, no.

Edit: it seems that I might have made a mistake. I expect this word to be глисматс /ˈɣliːsˌmats/. Hopefully this helps narrow it down.
Is глис- at all related to "glass" in English (from either this word or one of the related terms)?
Correct
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 02 Sep 2019 19:43

Does the word refer to a “paper tiger”-type situation, a projection of strength without much to back it up?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Sep 2019 20:38

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Sep 2019 19:43
Does the word refer to a “paper tiger”-type situation, a projection of strength without much to back it up?
It's nothing abstract like that.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 02 Sep 2019 21:24

Hmm… is it literally referring to the strength of glass?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 02 Sep 2019 22:37

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Sep 2019 21:24
Hmm… is it literally referring to the strength of glass?
Nothing to do with glass , no.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 11710
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar » 02 Sep 2019 22:41

Does it refer to some kind of material?

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 03 Sep 2019 00:08

shimobaatar wrote:
02 Sep 2019 22:41
Does it refer to some kind of material?
Yes
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4481
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by qwed117 » 03 Sep 2019 06:14

fiberglass?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Corphishy
greek
greek
Posts: 739
Joined: 18 May 2013 18:28
Location: Route 102, Route 117, Petalburg City

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Corphishy » 03 Sep 2019 06:17

diamond?
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)

Ælfwine
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 21 Sep 2015 01:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Ælfwine » 03 Sep 2019 06:20

Colder! It's not a metal or physical material of the sort. Try figuring out the relationship between the 2 morphemes. There are analogs in other languages.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Crimean Gothic — A Gothic language spoken in Crimea (duh)
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
An unnamed Semitic language spoken in the Caucus.

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4481
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by qwed117 » 03 Sep 2019 06:23

is the glass thing amber? if so is it electricity?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Post Reply