A Taxonomy of Conlanging (help me out)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Veris
sinic
sinic

A Taxonomy of Conlanging (help me out)

Post by Veris » 18 Jan 2011 13:01

No offense, Khemehekis, but you just pulled your classification system out of your ass. It's an interesting concept, though, so I have an idea; everybody post and list every conlang you have, along with a short (one sentence to one paragraph) description of your intentions behind that conlang. Not "why do you conlang (in general)" by why specifically did you make each specific language you've made? Is it for a conlang? Is it for personal use? Are you just trying out new concepts? Maybe you made your conlang to intuitively teach yourself some difficult-to-grasp linguistic concept. Whatever your specific reason, tell us. I'll start off.

~ ~ ~

Veris' Conlangs
kuna: My personal language. My only intention is personal use. I'm using my sense of synaesthesia to "divine" the vocabulary and grammar, rather than trying to attain any specific vocabularic or grammatical end.

bird language: In a story of mine, there exist creatures who have arbitrarily small color discernment (they can perceive an infinite variety of colors) and who communicate using colored light. This is an attempt to imagine what the nature and qualities of that language would be like. It's an academic exercise, I don't intend to flesh it out.

Black Speech: As mentioned elsewhere, in a story of mine, there's another odd sort of language spoken by non-Euclidean "demons." My intention in creating this language is, like above, just to see how much of it I can capture. I don't intend to make it a speakable language.

Languages of the Peoples of Bluestar: I have a conworld, temporarily called Bluestar until I come up with a proper name, and it has various conpeoples. My intention is to create a basic conlang for each of them. All I want to create is a sound system and basic grammar system, along with some example vocabulary; I don't intend to actually flesh these out into speakable languages, they're just to lend flavor to Bluestar (and give proper names actual rules to follow).
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)

SLiV
greek
greek

Re: A Taxonomy of Conlanging (help me out)

Post by SLiV » 18 Jan 2011 14:20

Luritu (defunct)
I started this one when I was 12 or so (17 now), with somewhat of the intention to improve Latin, or rather to beat Latin in being the most regular language. It was incredibly strict and simplistic, which ultimately became it's downfal, as I kept scratching new words because they did not match previously set rules (e.g. verbs must end on a consonant, except s, n, k or p, which are reserved for nouns).
It also had some relevance to my personal conreligion, and a conworld.

Lurioneski
My current language. I started with this one a year ago, when my love of Greek and nostalgy about Luritu combined and let me to create a new lang, with both the principles of Luritu and the beauty of Greek. I left out most obstructing rules (such as the one above), but kept the simplicity and participle-heaviness.

Imma edit this later on.
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 18 Jan 2011 15:10

Veris wrote:bird language: In a story of mine, there exist creatures who have arbitrarily small color discernment (they can perceive an infinite variety of colors) and who communicate using colored light. This is an attempt to imagine what the nature and qualities of that language would be like. It's an academic exercise, I don't intend to flesh it out.
This isn't physically possible, there aren't an infinite number of possible wavelengths of light. Still, if it really was infinite light discernment, they could encode arbitrarily long messages into a single flash of color. And by arbitrarily long, I mean they could flash by, with a single photon, every conversation, book, movie, and song ever made and ever will be made! That's friggin nuts!
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend » 18 Jan 2011 21:12

Classifying conlangs based on creator intentions is wise, I think. There is much previous work in the field.

The classifications I most see discussed and used:

Heartlangs

- Informed by creator introspection
- Intended for personal use, maybe in keeping a journal or communicating in secret with friends
- See gja-zym-byn and Alurhsa.

Engelang

- Or "experimental language"
- Intended to test a specific question (or questions) about language or the mind
- See Ithkuil, Lojban.

Artlang

- Often set in a conculture, but sometimes not
- Informed by naturalism and/or aesthetics
- See Sindarin, Na'vi

Auxlang

- Intended to facilitate international communication, be politically/culturally/linguistically neutral, etc.
- Esperanto et al

Very rarely does one language fall into just one classification. My projects tend to be artlangs, but Feayran has notable heartlang and some engelang characteristics.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。

Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke » 18 Jan 2011 21:38

I suppose every lang I've made so far falls under Engelang, because they all furthered my understanding of Linguistics. I'm trying to make a Hartlang (If you get that I removed the E).
Vasak Kseni du Lamisa Sensen sen.
Native: :eng:
Learning: :deu: :con: Daljetz
Interest: :esp:

Testyal
roman
roman

Post by Testyal » 18 Jan 2011 22:11

Staalouvan- Made for the fun of it
Rakin- Made for the fun of it
Fiigor- Made for the fun of it

Is anyone sensing a pattern here?
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 18 Jan 2011 23:04

How I come on conlang taxonomy:
There are two "dimensions" we can divide conlangs by: intention and inspiration.

Division by inspiration:
- a priori (conlang constructed from random roots and endings)
- a priori oriented (a priori with features of some languages / language groups)
- a posteriori (conlang constructed from existing languages, can have some a priori features)
- naturalistic (a posteriori with one defined source)

Division by intention:
- experimental (high complexity, many features)
- artlang (average to high complexity, various features)
- engelang (low to high complexity, few features)
- auxlang (low complexity, particular features)
- codelang (as above; features specific for creator's native language)
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend » 18 Jan 2011 23:25

Oooh...I don't think I can support the idea of a linear intention spectrum. That looks incredibly simplified.

I'm not sure how to comment on your specific data points though, because I'm not sure you're using terminology in the same way. When you say "engelang," are you using the term in the same sense as I gave in my last post, or are you defining it relative to your spectrum? In other words, by saying "engelang (low to high complexity, few features)," are you saying

A: "the class of conlangs which people commonly call 'engelangs' fall at this point of the spectrum because they range from high to low complexity and have few features"

or

B: "I define the class of conlangs which range from high to low complexity and have few features as 'engelangs'."

or

C: other?

If A, I would object--many languages considered engelangs (like Ithkuil) have tons of features. If B, then it's a matter of definition, and there's less to discuss apart from whether such a definition is useful.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。

Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » 18 Jan 2011 23:36

If A, I would object--many languages considered engelangs (like Ithkuil) have tons of features.
I'd rather name Ithkuil an experimental language.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Trailsend

Post by Trailsend » 19 Jan 2011 01:09

Milyamd wrote:
If A, I would object--many languages considered engelangs (like Ithkuil) have tons of features.
I'd rather name Ithkuil an experimental language.
Your intention is B, then? Your placement of terms on your axes are meant to establish a nomenclature rather than to describe pre-established categories? (This is fine, by the way, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, since it changes how we can go about discussing your system.)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。

Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu » 19 Jan 2011 01:34

Meegjyok (scrapped): My very first conlang was nothing more than a simple English cipher. (Kudos to the first person who can decode it! Hint: its name is a cipher for "Language".) It came about to me when I was in grade four, so I was ten at the time. My intent was to create a language that translated perfectly from English to have the exact same amount of syllables. This was so that Meegjyok songs could be translated from English and set to the exact same musical score without any problem. (It came about to me when they showed us the French translation of O Canada, our national anthem. It surprised me how many French lines were totally different from their English counterparts, and I wanted to make a language that wouldn't have any disparity during translation.)
--
Aentoui: First real conlang. Intended as an Adamic or angelic language for my conworld Alyrica, as well as to be a protolang for several more daughter languages. In Alyrica its use is mainly scientific, akin to Latin in the Middle Ages. In terms of syntax, simple but still natural.

Yaizmo: A language spoken by a draconian species in Alyrica. Partially to experiment how reptilian phonology might work out, but also to have simple syntax, etc.

I have five or ten more languages to place into Alyrica, all related to each other by varying degrees, after which I plan to create:

Corican: Planned to be my magnus opum of sorts. The official language of the Corican Empire, it is intended to be highly nuanced in terms of grammar and phonology and to have extensive borrowings from the various languages of Alyrica.

All my conworld languages are intended to be naturalistic and believably spoken by characters, although not too complex. Most probably will all contribute in some shape or form to a series of novels I plan to write, where they'll mostly play a part in naming places and characters.

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 19 Jan 2011 02:11

Oh, I suppose I haven't answered the real topic yet:

Agyonnar: My precious little baby that becomes unrecognizably different on a weekly basis! A sane person would have thrown away this thing a long time ago but I love it too much to let go.

Acoi: A language I care less about (and my development on it reflects this), intended to be a proto-language for a whole conworld, but honestly I've nothing on its "future" developments aside from some very vague sketches.

Ashkw: A conlang which is a conlang within its own fictional setting. I basically originally invented this as a self-challenge to come up with the most interesting conlang I could in 30 minutes, and now I just dump all of my bad ideas into it so I'm not tempted to pollute my other languages with them. For this reason, I call it a "dumplang" where bad ideas go to rot and die. It's a friggin abomination. Quuxhmipusharik'lqw'qixh'an!
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter

clockworkbanana
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by clockworkbanana » 19 Jan 2011 08:57

Forward: It's more a theoretical language now than anything, which means when it's worked on more it will be an experimental language, but it has no real words or grammar now, only a description which is that all important things (whether phonological, syntactic, morphological, or relative-tense-wise) go to the front. (Or at least, as much as possible.)

I'd like to use it as a "proto-proto-language", by deriving a language that is more human usable from it, then derive daughter langs from that for other projects.
ImageImageImageImage

Czwartek
greek
greek

Post by Czwartek » 19 Jan 2011 15:49

Pekna - My first attempt at a conlang. I started out with very few ideas, just a vague sense of what I wanted and didn't want, and started making it up as I went. Originally it was intended to be a logical language on par with Lojban, but then I realised it would have to sacrifice much of its simplicity and human-usability. Even now it's far too neglected for me to categorise as to what 'type' of language it is.

Unnamed verbless conlang - I once posted this (on the old forum I think) with the name 'Tuvel', but since then I've scrapped it, while still keeping the basic concepts in mind. It's still in the pipeline and I have quite a few new ideas for it. I guess conlanging just isn't a big enough passion for me to realise my many linguistic ideas.

Veris
sinic
sinic

Post by Veris » 20 Jan 2011 20:54

Micamo wrote:
Veris wrote:bird language: In a story of mine, there exist creatures who have arbitrarily small color discernment (they can perceive an infinite variety of colors) and who communicate using colored light. This is an attempt to imagine what the nature and qualities of that language would be like. It's an academic exercise, I don't intend to flesh it out.
This isn't physically possible, there aren't an infinite number of possible wavelengths of light.
Technically there are -- a wavelength can't be arbitrarily short, but can theoretically be arbitrarily long, even though no such thing is known to occur in nature (as far as I'm aware). These creatures I speak of generate the light themselves, nor are they restricted in perception or creation to what we know as the visible spectrum, so it's effectively infinite. Not that I'd imagine them using more than a few billion colors. The way I envision the language working is that, rather than "words" proper, their language essentially encodes sensory information and mental abstracts directly. Not that they perceive the light as sensory information (they won't, for instance, feel pain if you shine, say, green light on them) but since they aren't limited by aural phenomenon the way spoken languages are and they can perceive so many distinct colors, it's effortless for them to encode entire complex concepts into a single beam of light, whereas it takes any written/spoken language comparably many, many words.
Micamo wrote:Still, if it really was infinite light discernment, they could encode arbitrarily long messages into a single flash of color. And by arbitrarily long, I mean they could flash by, with a single photon, every conversation, book, movie, and song ever made and ever will be made! That's friggin nuts!
Friggin nuts, indeed. Hence why it's purely an academic exercise.
Ainuke wrote:I suppose every lang I've made so far falls under Engelang, because they all furthered my understanding of Linguistics. I'm trying to make a Hartlang (If you get that I removed the E).
A conlang spoken by deer?
Trailsend wrote:Classifying conlangs based on creator intentions is wise, I think. There is much previous work in the field.
[...]
Very rarely does one language fall into just one classification. My projects tend to be artlangs, but Feayran has notable heartlang and some engelang characteristics.
You're dead-set on getting me to use "heartlang," aren't you?
Ilaeriu wrote:Aentoui: First real conlang. Intended as an Adamic or angelic language for my conworld Alyrica, as well as to be a protolang for several more daughter languages. In Alyrica its use is mainly scientific, akin to Latin in the Middle Ages. In terms of syntax, simple but still natural.
Mm! I forgot, I intend to use kuna like that, too, as a protolanguage (more specifically, a "divine/original" language) for numerous daughter languages. That use is an afterthought, though; it's still ultimately my personal language, first and last. It's just, it's such a simplisitc, no-frills, caveman-speak-like language that it'd be incredibly easy to build multiple additional languages from it, creating a whole family of languages with strong verisimilitude.
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)

teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz » 20 Jan 2011 23:35

Veris wrote:Verisimilitude.
I see what you did there.

Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku » 25 Jan 2011 03:04

Makurungou:
Constructed for a conworld I've been making. It is based a bit off Finnish, Hindi-Urdu language group, And a bit of many other things.

EDIT: Wow, I've been inactive on this forum for a while. Too bad I lost my top post count.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Conlangs: :con: Literary Makurungou, :con: Common Makurungou

Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » 28 Mar 2012 18:58

Alife:
The first really good conlang I've made, and the most developed. It is intended to be the child of Korean and Navajo. It is currently inactive.

Ozavakve
:
Another conlang, intended to be Fusional and Semitic-y while exploring the joy of Epiglottals. Also defunct.

Arroe
Arroe is one of my more developed conlangs, and the first isolating lang in my conlang pantheon. It is inspired by English, Mandarin, French, and Nortaneous's Cherun.

Juvelan:
Juvelan is intended to be an SAE language...that does a bunch of weird shit. It has liaision, allophonic pharyngealization, and loads of tone sandhi.
Check out Ussaria!

Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » 28 Mar 2012 20:29

Iriex
My first and most developed conlang; intended to be naturalistic, aesthetically pleasing to my ear and used to derive a number of related languages for use in a book (or three).
It's spoken by a race of pre-metal age troll-like beings, noted for their size, aggression and magical aptitude.

Nightmare
Originally intended as a dumping ground for experimental ideas I found hellishly confusing or irritating to use. Now it's also seemingly acquired the naturalism and book related goals of Iriex.
It might be spoken by desert dwelling ruminant humanoids with a yet undeveloped culture.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.

Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » 29 Mar 2012 12:25

Here is a classification system I came up with a while ago while tinkering with these ideas:

Thoughts?
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE