Tgnàmm Bôta - Emilian lessons and resources

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Re: Tgnàmm Bôta - Emilian lessons and resources

Post by Alessio » 21 Aug 2014 22:01

Bounasîra a tótt!

I've come back after a long time in which I had no time and also, let me say, I didn't feel like writing new lessons. It happens!
Anyways, I have a new lesson for you, and I also elaborated my writing system a bit more.
Let us start from there, but with a premise: as always, this is my system. Constantly changing writing system might be a pain in the a**, therefore you are free to keep whatever you want, also because none is official.
So, these are the rules I added.

First, no more doubles at the end of a word. So the greeting I wrote before would become bounasîra a tót, rather than tótt.
Second, monosyllable verbs and adverbs must always carry an accent, other monosyllable words mustn't. Therefore, you writefà - dà - stà - là (he does, he gives, he stays, there) but mo (but), for example.
Last but not least, time to get rid of all those hyphens. So, if you see one hyphen, just remove it; if you see two, put a space in place of the first and put the other two words together. Therefore you'll see an where you used to see a-n and a jò where you used to see a-j-ò.

What is the motive of these changes? Because that's how people write Emilian wherever I can see it written.

OK, let's go!

Lesson 20 - Adverbs of time with verbs

I don't really know how to call these adverbs, but still, here they are!

Bêle/bêli - Already
Possibly evolved from Italian bell'e (lit. beautiful and), an idiomatic expression with approximately the same meaning, this adverb means "already". Put it before the verb - or before the past participle for compound tenses - and you're done:
Mè a t'ò bêle vést... - I've already seen you/I've seen you before...

Incàrra - Still, again (rarely)
This word has two meanings: the most common is "still".
A soun incàrra a drě ch'a båv. - I'm still drinking.

The second one is again, but we prefer n'êtra vǒlta (lt. one more time) in this case. However, there is a case in which you always have to use it... this one.
«Bâbo, a jò bucê la mâchina...» «INCÀRRA?!» - «Dad, I crashed the car...» «AGAIN?!»
... so practically when you want to say «oh no, that can't possibly be that it happened again!», of course using only one word.

NOTE: I've often seen this written as "incàra", with only one R, because the Emilian R is kind of shorter than the Italian R (it's almost always reduced to a single vibration, although not becoming an actual tap), and writing two seems excessive to an Italian eye, even when you know the rule that two consonants count as one. You'll see me using both forms, probably.

Gnancàrra, gnanc incàrra - Not yet
You'll often hear northern Italians - like me - saying the non-existent word neancora. This is the translation of a word existing in most Gallo-Italic "dialects", and precisely gnancàrra, contraction of gnanc (not even) and incàrra (which you already know). Just like in Italian, when negated, incàrra gets the meaning of not yet; however, in Emilian it is way more common to use gnanc rather than the common negative form in this case, and the two words may or may not merge, depending on how you feel. Even when you write this as two words, they can't be separated and they go in the same position where bêle would go, without adding ménga/brîṡa. Thus:
An n'ò gnancàrra magnê, però a jò bêle bvû! - I haven't eaten yet, but I've already drunk!

An... pió - No more
The usage of this one is quite simple. Add pió after the verb in a negative sentence and you're done. Just like plus in French, pió doesn't need ménga/brîṡa after it.
An guîd pió. I m'an tǒlt la pateint. - I don't drive anymore. They revoked (lt. they took) my driving licence.

Good, this is all for today. Exercises still to come... but I will prepare them sooner or later. Bye for now!
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...

Fi.ri.ku.su
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Fi.ri.ku.su » 22 Jul 2019 22:30

Where did this thread go? I need more help with mudnes

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 23 Jul 2019 01:12

Fi.ri.ku.su wrote:
22 Jul 2019 22:30
Where did this thread go? I need more help with mudnes
Alessio last posted 11 months ago, and was last active on this board 3 months ago.

—————

This is your first post!
Welcome to the CBB!
Tell us a little about yourself? If you want?
We have an “introductions” thread where you can do that, and also look up about us, if you’re curious!

Fi.ri.ku.su
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Fi.ri.ku.su » 24 Jul 2019 22:03

I tried to send him a Private Message but it's stuck in my "outbox." How do I send messages that are in "outbox" ?

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 24 Jul 2019 22:07

Fi.ri.ku.su wrote:
24 Jul 2019 22:03
I tried to send him a Private Message but it's stuck in my "outbox." How do I send messages that are in "outbox" ?
I believe that means it’s been sent but hasn’t been opened by the recipient yet.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 25 Jul 2019 02:42

shimobaatar wrote:
24 Jul 2019 22:07
Fi.ri.ku.su wrote:
24 Jul 2019 22:03
I believe that means it’s been sent but hasn’t been opened by the recipient yet.
That’s right.
If he hasn’t signed on to the board in a couple of months, odds are the quickest way to contact him would be something else; another board, or a discord channel, or email, or some kind of irc or other chat thing, or something.
Does his profile give you another way to contact him?
Otherwise it may be September before he reads it. (Or never. But let’s not be pessimistic!)

Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio » 26 Jul 2019 14:37

The guy was lucky, I read the message on time haha

Yeah, this thread is kinda dead. I don't really have the time to write lessons anymore - I work now - and also I would need to do some changes due to my slightly increased knowledge of the language. Let's just say that it would be a good idea to just start this over from scratch, which might happen at some point if I get enough people interested - but don't count on me posting as often as I used to.

Still, I'm happy to find love for this thread even 5 years after it was originally published :)
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...