What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by gestaltist » 24 Jan 2016 19:10

How in hell did people survive in Wisconsin and Northern England before dryers were invented? I guess they didn't wash their clothes outside of summer? [;)]

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir » 24 Jan 2016 20:33

gestaltist wrote:How in hell did people survive in Wisconsin and Northern England before dryers were invented? I guess they didn't wash their clothes outside of summer? [;)]
I thought that's what fireplaces were for - drying clothes & cooking, both indoors.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799

Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ketumak » 24 Jan 2016 20:42

Yup, that's how it was at our house back in the '60s. There were also more stay-at-home housewives in those days, so amongst many other jobs they would try drying clothes outdoors then whip them in quick at a sign of rain and hang them on a clothes horse in front of the fire. I remember my mother doing that and getting us kids to help if we were around.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai

jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » 24 Jan 2016 21:18

I have a drying rack that I put my clothes on, after a night they are ready to wear. I only started using the dryer for the sheets because I forgot to bring a second set of them from home (currently in a dorm) and so couldn't leave them to dry overnight. My parents don't even have one at home, when I came here I saw one for the first time in my life :P
Ketumak wrote:Yup, that's how it was at our house back in the '60s. There were also more stay-at-home housewives in those days, so amongst many other jobs they would try drying clothes outdoors then whip them in quick at a sign of rain and hang them on a clothes horse in front of the fire. I remember my mother doing that and getting us kids to help if we were around.
My mother still does that, actually. I had no idea it was so old-fashioned. Though we usually have our rack in the basement, rather than in front of a fireplace.

Anyway, as for my accomplishment, I translated the A-Team intro.
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 25 Jan 2016 00:04

Inspired by some European languages, I decided to have two different ways of forming the perfect stem for my verbs after the restructuring of the verbs of Shonkasika.

Most verbs will form their perfect by affixing -pe to the stem:
ruvat, ruvapet I love, I have loved.

Verbs of motion, inchoative verbs, and verbs in the middle and passive voice will affix -ke to the stem:
zat, zaket I go, I have gone.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » 26 Jan 2016 17:32

Spoiler:
:eng: Richard Chandler
His first work consisted of fragments from the minor Greek poets, with notes (Elegiaca Graeca, 1759); and in 1763 he published a fine edition of the inscriptions among the Arundel marbles, Marmora Oxoniensia, with a Latin translation, and a number of suggestions for supplying the lacunae.

:lat: Latin (SCA2 input)
Suum primárium óperam consístit de fragméntum de ípsum poétam gráecum minórem, cum nótam et in 1763 ípse públicat únam editiónem de īnscriptiónem en ípsum mármorum Arundel, cum translatiónem latínum et únum suggestiónem númerum pro plénare lacunae

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (raw)
isu hrimárju óbera consíhtit d hragméntu d íhsu foéda grégu minór, cu nóda et in 1763 íhs fúbligat úna editjón d inhcrihtjón en íhsu mármoru Arundel, cu tranhlatjón latínu et únu isuggehtjón númeru hro hlénar lacunae

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (adjusted)
Su ṛimárju óbera consíṭit d'ṛagméntu d'íṣu foéda grégu minór, cu nóda e'in 1763 íṣ fúbligat úna editión d'incṛiṭión en ṣu mármoru Arundel, cu tranḷatión latínu et únu suggeṭión númeru ṛo ḷénar lacunae

(I haven't included Arabic loans at this point. This is roughly when Arabic begins to enter heavily into the language)

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (adjusted in IPA)
/su rˤiˈmarʒu ˈobera conˈsitˤit d'rˤagˈmentu ˈdisˤu foˈéda ˈgregu miˈnor, cu ˈnoda ejn 1763 ˈiṣ ˈfubligat ˈuna ediˈtjon d'incrˤiˈtˤjon en sˤu ˈmarmoru Arundel, cu tranlˤaˈtjon laˈtinu et ˈunu suggeˈtˤjon ˈnumeru rˤo ˈlˤenar lacunae/
(I haven't included the effects of pharyngealization, or some minor vowel changes. I'm not sure what cum should become. I'm floating co, cu, cum, and con. Similarly, I'm unsure of et's realization. It will be elided in some areas. Mainly, behind vowels. Should it be elided behind unu?)
Has the possibility of r/l mutation
My longest evah translation
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » 26 Jan 2016 21:56

I adjusted my perfect suffixes by adding a vowel to the front, giving me -ipe (class I) and -uke (class II). This is so that I could get some interesting vowel changes for my perfect stems.

stem vowel, class I perfect, class II perfect
-a, -aipe, -auke
-ai, -aipe, -auke
-e, -eipe, -öke
-i, -yepe/iepe, -üke
-o, -oipe, -ouke
-oi, -oipe, -ouke
-u, -üpe, -woke/uoke

The i-stems have palatalization of the previous consonant in the perfect form:

katit, katsepet I work, I have worked
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 27 Jan 2016 03:09

I finally wrote down Silvish sound changes. There's still a lot of fine tuning to do, but I can at last evolve new words without worrying I've forgotten something or that I got the changes in the wrong order.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 27 Jan 2016 06:31

I couldn't sleep yesterday, so I quickly translated some parts of Adele's 'Hello' into Buonavallese.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 27 Jan 2016 20:15

Some days ago I had the brilliant idea of inflecting a noun based on which way you look at it. This became part of Nnn Heeel, and it'd probably be put into other languages at some point as well.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en

jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » 27 Jan 2016 20:18

Isoraqathedh wrote:Some days ago I had the brilliant idea of inflecting a noun based on which way you look at it. This became part of Nnn Heeel, and it'd probably be put into other languages at some point as well.
Could you clarify, please?
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today

Post by Isoraqathedh » 29 Jan 2016 10:04

jute wrote:
Isoraqathedh wrote:Some days ago I had the brilliant idea of inflecting a noun based on which way you look at it. This became part of Nnn Heeel, and it'd probably be put into other languages at some point as well.
Could you clarify, please?
Sure.

Suppose you have a roll of toilet paper. There are two ways you can look at it, and this is grammaticalised:

Tran-ppp=citwkee / CLAS-VPT-toilet.paper / A roll of toilet paper from the side where it looks like a rectangle
Tran-lec=citwkee / CLAS-VPT-toilet.paper / A roll of toilet paper from the end where it looks like a circle

This is an obligatory inflection; even omission of a VPT morpheme indicates a viewpoint: that of a shapeless or abstract figure (ideas, numbers).

A VPT's "observer", that is, the location of the "camera" that creates the perceived shape, is always somewhere between the speaker and the object itself, which means that indirect objects can be cleverly implied when they are used:

kwaal-ske teeek ttopy nnn.
CLAS-VPT gun point 2
You point a gun at me.

kwaal-lec teeek ttopy nnn.
CLAS-VPT gun point 1
I point a gun at you.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 29 Jan 2016 12:52

While that doesn't seem horribly possible to develop in a natural language... It is a rather cool idea.

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 29 Jan 2016 16:27

Vrkhazhian doesn't have a root for "to be born/to birth", yet oddly has one for "to be pregnant".

So I derived things:
zuraš "am/are/is pregnant" > zaršer "result of being pregnant(=birth)" > zuršar "am/are/is born"
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Śāt Wērxālu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » 30 Jan 2016 02:51

Thrice Xandvii wrote:While that doesn't seem horribly possible to develop in a natural language... It is a rather cool idea.
I got this idea from how AGNs are called quasars, blazars and radio galaxies based only on how it points or does not point toward Earth. Granted, astronomers can't well rotate (around) them to see that they are the same thing, but a bit of generalisation can help with that.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 30 Jan 2016 03:00

Agreeing with Thrice Xandvii that it doesn't make a lot of sense as a naturalistic feature because humans generally think about the world in three dimensions. While the toilet paper roll may look like a rectangle from my vantage point, I know it's a cylinder. That said, it is a fascinating idea, and I'm interested to see how it plays out in your conlang.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 30 Jan 2016 12:40

I created the names for two Wínlandish kingdoms:
Ósguþ (eastern Goths, corresponding to Essex *here*) and Wisterguþ (western Goths, of course Wessex *here*, with Wínceaster as their capital).
I'm aiming at an octarchy for pre-historic times (this should ring bells).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » 30 Jan 2016 14:33

Egerius wrote:I created the names for two Wínlandish kingdoms:
Ósguþ (eastern Goths, corresponding to Essex *here*) and Wisterguþ (western Goths, of course Wessex *here*, with Wínceaster as their capital).
I'm aiming at an octarchy for pre-historic times (this should ring bells).
By Jove, tha's rung the very bells of Winchester!

I am rather partial to agglomerations of wee kingdoms, and will await with interest what you come up with! This is an extract about one such agglomeration of tiny statelets well west of Mentolatum and south of the Marches, cosily nestled under the Bal Erruyn and strung like pearls along the White River:

"...To the westwards of Mentolatum, and arrayed around the White Sea, which they call Errenmere, lie several small countries collectively known as the Little Kingdoms, on account of their diminutive size, but otherwise, and officially, known (and, it may be said, rather aggressively advertised as such in the travel broadsheets one may find even here in the City) as The Heptarchy. They all lie along the White River (so called for its beautiful stretches of white limestone outcroppings and strands), in and under the Bal Erruyn (so called on account of their snowy tops). ...

Gattenburg is a small county, straddling the White River between Markland and Fenland. A fair is held here, at Gattenburg Field, and it holds a prominent place along the local highway. The county is renown for the famous Four Legged Chicken of Yolos Manse, a sizeable bird with four legs and two wings that laid extra large eggs, in brown and white on alternate Thursdays, though no satisfactory explanation as to why this particularity of her laying habits should be so has ever been put forth. She was exhibited at the local fairs between 1793 and 1799 and won ribbons in the most unusual farm animal category each of those seven years. In 1813, upon the death of Mr Yolo, a bronze statue of the Four Legged Chicken was erected at the gate of the fair ground.

Fenland is a neighbour of Markland, though scarcely touching its border, and is closer to the mountains. The Bogs of Nooze, a system of fenny and boggy streams that limp down from the hill country, empty into the northwestern quarter of the White Sea, just nigh where the river itself joins its waters to those of the sea. The Bogs lie mostly in Fenland, hence the name of that country, though the northern marches of both Markland and Derwood are boggy. Nestled under the White Mountains, the Bogs of Nooze are an enchanted bottomlands of meandering watercourses, entangled vegetation and perpetual fogs. Straddling Fenland and Markland of the Little Kingdoms, the Bogs are home to many magical creatures, sprites, woodland elves and other assorted billegs and boggarts. At all times of day or night, chilling screeches and mournful howls of the local alman can be heard. They are also the birthplace of many famous and powerful mages. Indeed Hazel the Half-Wicked was a notorious witch of Fenland, and her damp downfall is well known. Mentolatian is the language used for magical incantations in this region. Travel through the Bogs is extremely difficult and unless dire business brings one to Fenland, the best advice is to steer clear of the place and stick to the Road. ...

By now the astute reader shall have undoubtedly taken note of the fact that we have mentioned but five kingdoms. For indeed it is as Coaltrayne wrote: “whether the two missing kingdoms of The Heptarchy were simply too small and therefore became misplaced by the geographers, or whether by some strange turn of History they never were, what is clear to modern philosophical historiography is this: this diminutive heptarchy is so small it can but contain no more than five kingdoms, and that the nobles and wisemen of The Heptarchy seem to have rather fancied the sound of the name without taking any account of its sense.”

It is a well known article of History that the official name dates to an Act of the White Parliament, so called on account of its pavillions of white silk being erected upon the banks of the White River when, in the 1514th year of the present age, it was decided that “whenever scholars should refer to the realms, kingdoms, counties, satrapies, principalities, republics, dukedoms, commonwealths or lands of any other name, title, designation or form, commonly known as the Little Kingdoms, it ought by right henceforth set by these presents before all Men and Daine, be known by the name The Heptarchy.” (Act I, W.P., 1514, duly affirmed by representatives of all five Realms). Without further explanation, however, the White Parliament adjourned for tea and a well deserved round of croquet and seems to have quite forgotten to reconvene again. ..." --Chorography

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » 30 Jan 2016 18:39

A brief outline of a language. You may take this as the new year speedlang promised some time ago.

1. Phonology

Code: Select all

/p t t͡ʃ k/  <p t c k>
/m n/       <m n>
/ʋ j/       <v y>
/l r/       <l r>
/i a u/     <i a u>

All consonants are allowed in onset. All consonants exect the glides /ʋ j/ are allowed in coda. The close vowels /i u/ cannot begin a syllable. Most roots of function words have two syllables. In a CVCVC sequence, the middle consonant counts as the onset to the second syllable: /CV.CVC/ rather that /CVC.VC/.

Stress falls on the first syllable. Secondary stress falls on the third, fifth syllable etc. If there is no coda, the vowel is lengthened. Non-geminated Intervocalic plosives are voiced. Short vowels tend to be more lax/centralised: [ɪ ɐ ʊ]. Word-final /n/ becomes [ŋ]

kipar "horse" [ˈkiːbɐr]
yikkam "tree" [ˈjɪkːɐm]
vatu "river" [ˈʋaːdʊ]
pukkik "house" [ˈpʊkːɪk]
vatukipar "river horse" [ˈʋaːdʊˌgɪbɐr]
yikkampukkik "tree house" [ˈjɪkːɐmˌbʊgɪk]

As we can see in the compounds above, length distinctions are neutralised in unstressed syllables.

2. Morphology/syntax

Verbs take relatively little inflection. The unmarked form is perfective – suffixes might mark progressive, habitual, various non-declarative/non-indicative moods etc. Nouns take cases (but no number, at least no obligatory number). A pragmatically unmarked transitive clause is SOV. An oblique modifier (usually a temporal or locational phrase) might be topicalised and put first in the sentence. In that case, the subject phrase is moved to a position after the verb: TOVS.

Kurtivincara yima yivya. – "the shopkeeper kissed the troll."
[ˈkʊrdɪʋɪɲd͡ʒɐrɐ ˈjiːmɐ ˈjɪʋjɐ]
kurti-vincar-a yima-Ø yivya
shop-keeper-ERG troll kiss

Kittavitaki yima yivya kurtivincara. – "Yesterday the shopkeeper kissed the troll."
[ˈkɪtːɐˌʋɪdɐˌgɪ ˈjiːmɐ ˈjɪʋjɐ ˈkʊrdɪˌʋɪɲd͡ʒɐˌrɐ]
kitta-vita-ki yima yivya kurti-wincar-a
yester-day-LOC troll kiss shop-keeper-ERG

3. More syntax/morphology

There are three degrees of evidentiality – firsthand direct, firsthand inidirect, and non-firsthand. The distinction between firstand direct and indirect correspond roughly to the distinction between visual and non-visual sensory evidentials in some languages. The firsthand direct is unmarked. The firsthand indirect is marked with -ra, and the non-firsthand with -kan.

Avayi tunkika pakul puccurnira. – My brother is beating the goat.
[ˈaːʋɐjɪ ˈtʊŋgɪgɐ ˈpaːgʊl ˈpʊt͡ʃːʊrnɪrɐ]
ava-yi tunkik-a pakul puccur-ni-ra
1s-GEN brother-ERG goat beat-PROGR-INDIRECT
Last edited by Xing on 30 Jan 2016 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » 30 Jan 2016 21:35

Xing wrote:
All consonants are allowed in coda. All consonants exect the glides /ʋ j/ are allowed in coda.
The first coda is an onset, right?

Looks nice. I like the lack of fricatives and the default perfective. I like your allophony, but I think your conlang could use some morphophonology [:P]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]